Today I've pulled out the linen for a Smock. 5-25-10
|Early 1500s English|
|Tudor - Elizabethan Underware||
So the smock was used as the first layer against the skin. It was washed with some regularity compared to the other layers made of rich velvets and silks. Remember there was no
dry cleaning in the 16th - 17th Centuries. If you look at the images above the smock was fairly unchanged in design for over 50 years. The early Tudor period had square necked smocks but the later periods they used the high necked ones. My last smock I used the Alter Years pattern (the only one at the time) and it uses a ragland sleeve. There is no documentation showing use of this style. Most are made using gussets and plain pieces. I'm going to make this kind since it is more period. I'll be able to wear it for Tudor and Elizabethan as well as my Italian's.
|For PDF of cutting pattern||Click HERE. (this is a work in progress and there are changes already) will update this when I'm done.|
|5-26-10||Cut out the pattern pieces, must let them hang for 24 hrs to stretch out the bias.|
|These cuffs cost and arm & a leg, but it will save me a lot of time. I like the pattern and they are embroidered on 100% linen from fabrics-store.com|
You know, when you purchase something from a person who is 'professional' you'd think that they would sell an item that was designed properly. The design is beautiful and the cuffs work great but it's the neck portion. Now the blackwork it's really good looking but....it's too big for my neck. I'd have to be cut into the pattern on top and bottom sides...sigh...it's not going to look good.
I guess I should not whine so, My Laurel had a bit of machine blackwork and since she is an early persona, she didn't have a use for it. I liked it and took it home..guess what, it turns out to be the exact pattern as my blackwork one....only smaller! I gave My laurel back my larger version. She can give it to someone else who has a large neck, or it could be used for cuffs. So I can make another Hi-Neck Smock with this machine embroidery. (2/16/11)
So I bought a second set in red. This is going to be doable.
|As you can see from the images above, red was used. I made 3 sets of lucet to close the cuffs and collar.|
|two gussets open up the neck area|
|6" cut down center front will allow the smock to go over the head. OK, I cut another 3" down for a total of 9" down for the neckline.|
|next getting the cuffs ready|
|2 layers of linen (one embroidered) 1 layer of interfacing and lucet cords, lace completes the assembly.|
|6-1-10||got the cuffs sewn on. assembled the collar|
|marked the hem up so this will be shorter by about 6" I will add some lace around the hem as well.|
Mostly hand sewing today. Cuffs finished, Collar done and hem line with lace.
|I thought the collar too large so I ripped back an inch and cut off the extra and redid. Finished the hem and added the lace.|
|lace at the hem line and the adjusted neckline. I took off about 1"|
|started: 10_28_05||Elizabethan Dress || Renfair Gallery || Coif Page || Hat Page || Elizabethan Ensemble|| The Golden Age Photo Gallery || Elizabethan Coat Ensemble|